Yesterday I posted about food from my childhood, chopped eggplant. Today I have a recipe that is also an old childhood memory. This was one of my grandfather’s favorite meals in the hot and very humid summers of Montreal. I can still picture him sitting at my grandparent’s kitchen table with a bottle of garlic powder in hand and ground white pepper sitting next in line. It brings a smile to my face.
I have adapted this recipe from the tomato and onion salad my grandmother used to serve my grandfather. In those days it wasn’t yoghurt that was used, it was sour cream and/or cottage cheese, frankly I’ll take the yoghurt! My grandfather, as mentioned above, used to put his own seasonings on, I have adapted that for more flavor as well.
PLEASE REMEMBER that the calories mentioned apply to the brands and quantities of the ingredients I use. Please alter the calories based on the brands and quantities of ingredients you use. Same brand items made in the United States, may have a different calorie content than same brand items made here in Canada, please always read the calories on the label. I calculate the calories in the recipe section of the “Lose It” app on my iPhone. Lose It is available for Android, iOS, Nook, Kindle and on the Web.
– 1/2 c. Western Family, Fat Free, Balkin Style Yoghurt, 53 calories
– 1 clove fresh pressed garlic, 4 calories
– 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 calories
– 2 small stems (a stem with dill leaves) off of a fresh dill sprig – chopped, 0 calories
– sea salt and black pepper to taste, I used a 1/4 tsp of black pepper which was 1 calorie
– 1/4 c. chopped green onion, 5 calories
– 88 g / 3.1 oz. diced cucumber with peel, 13 calories
– 86 g / 3.1 oz diced radish, 14 calories
– 107 g / 3.8 oz. diced tomato, 19 calories
– 57 g / 2 oz. diced red bell pepper, 18 calories
– 46 g / 1.6 oz. Western Family Lite Feta cheese, 107 calories
In a small bowl combine yoghurt, garlic, onion powder, dill, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp of the green onion. Mix together until will blended, cover and let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours for the flavors to marry.
When ready, place the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and cover with yoghurt. Top with crumbled feta and enjoy.
Yield: 1 serving of 243 calories.
This is a delicious and fresh lunch or dinner. It can be a side dish if you omit or lessen the amount of lite feta used. I used a lot of feta as a protein for a meal.
May your journey be delicious and the company you keep inspiring and supportive.