I was so busy yesterday I didn’t have time to post. I am beginning to realize that posting daily may not be realistic; I do take weekends off and that may have to change. I thank everyone in advance for understanding.
Over the weekend I defrosted a bag of frozen cooked shrimp and went online to search for shrimp recipes. I found so many recipes I wanted to try that in the end I just did my own thing anyway; it was really good and approved by a 17 year old, now that’s recipe success!
PLEASE REMEMBER that the calories mentioned apply to the brands and quantities of the ingredients I use. Please alter the calories based on the brands and quantities of ingredients you use. Same brand items made in the United States, may have a different calorie content than same brand items made here in Canada, please always read the calories on the label. I calculate the calories in the recipe section of the “Lose It” app on my iPhone. Lose It is available for Android, iOS, Nook, Kindle and on the Web.
Ingredients for Spicy Quinoa:
– 1 c. TruRoots uncooked quinoa, 680 calories
– 1 3/4 c. water, 0 calories
– 1 pouch Swanson, Vegetable, Flavor Boost Concentrated Broth, 15 calories
– 1 tbsp. Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce, 3 calories
– 1 tbsp. Lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire Sauce, 13 calories
Please add all ingredients into a medium pot or rice cooker and follow the directions on the quinoa package. If you choose not to use the flavorings or different flavorings please make sure the total liquid adds up to 2 cups or a drop more. I used 2 cups of water plus the seasonings and it was a little to much liquid but OK and still tasty.
Yield: 4 cups of quinoa (711 calories) or 8 1/2 cup servings (89 calories per serving).
Ingredients for Spicy Quinoa & Shrimp:
– 4 c. Spicy Quinoa, 711 calories (please see above).
– 340 g/ ~12 oz frozen Country Morning cooked shrimp, 240 calories
– 2 tsp. lemon juice, my preference is fresh squeezed, 3 calories
– 1 tsp. Gourmet Garden Basil Paste, 7 calories
– 1 tsp. Gourmet Garden Coriander/Cilantro Paste, 7 calories
– 1 tsp. onion powder, 8 calories
– 1/4 tsp. sea salt, 0 calories
– 1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce, 0 calories
– 1 tbsp. Unico Pickled Green Jalapeno Peppers (chopped after measuring), 2 calories
– 3 pressed or finely chopped cloves of garlic, 13 calories
– 54 g/ ~2 oz. Western Family Light Feta Cheese, 126 calories
– 2 (half tablespoons) of Becel Olive Oil Margarine, 105 calories
in a medium bowl toss shrimp with lemon juice, basil paste, coriander paste, onion powder, sea salt, Tabasco sauce, pickled jalapenos, and garlic. Cover bowl and let marinate in fridge 2-3 hours.
Preheat oven to 350ºF / 175ºC.
Place shrimp at the bottom of a 2.5 quart casserole dish. Place a layer of crumbled feta cheese on top of the shrimp. Place quinoa on top of feta cheese. Top with the two dollops margarine evenly spaced. Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes until everything is heated thoroughly.
Yield: 4 servings, each serving is 297 calories.
This was a pleasantly pleasing dish, if you are not a fan of a little heat please use the seasonings that you love. The only thing I would possibly change is adding more shrimp and making it into 6 servings. If the shrimp was doubled and the servings went to 6 the calories per serving would be 232 calories. I will definitely do that next time as I wanted more shrimp!
May your journey be delicious and the company you keep inspiring and supportive.