I’m always looking for more chicken recipes and I love finding recipes that have a sweet twist and somewhat Asian flavor to them. This time I was looking for a slow cooker recipe and for this I went no further than the pantry where I have a mini library of cookbooks!
I adapted this from a recipe called Caramelized Onion Chicken in the cookbook 300 Slow Cooker Favorites by Donna-Marie Pye. After tasting it I felt the title I gave it suited the flavours that I chose. In the original recipe seedless raspberry jam is used, given the rest of the ingredients I felt that marmalade was a better option and I had No Sugar Added Marmalade in the fridge.
PLEASE REMEMBER that the calories mentioned apply to the brands and quantities of the ingredients I use. Please alter the calories based on the brands and quantities of ingredients you use. Same brand items made in the United States, may have a different calorie content than same brand items made here in Canada, please always read the calories on the label. I calculate the calories in the recipe section of the “Lose It” app on my iPhone. Lose It is available for Android, iOS, Nook, Kindle and on the Web.
– 6 skinless chicken drumsticks, 454
– 1/2 tsp. seal salt, 0 calories
– 1/4 tsp. white pepper, 2 calories
– 1 tsp Healthy Harvest Canola Oil, 40 calories
– 1 c. diced Walla Walla, or another sweet onion, 64 calories
– 1/4 c. Smucker”s No Sugar Added Marmalade, 80 calories
– 1/4 c. Mott’s Unsweetened Applesauce, 29 calories
– 1 tbsp. Tosca Burgundy Cooking Wine, 10 calories (optional)
– 1 tbsp soy sauce, I use Bragg Liquid Soy Seasoning, 0 calories
– 1/4 tsp liquid Stevia, I use Now’s Organic Better Stevia, 0 calories
– 2 tsp Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste or grated fresh ginger, 27 calories
– 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (crumbled between your fingers to bring out the flavour), 0 calories.
Place drumsticks in the bottom of a 5 quart/4.8 litre slow cooker. Sprinkle on salt and white pepper or black pepper if you prefer.
In a medium fry pan caramelize onions in canola oil and place over drumsticks when done.
In a small mixing bowl thoroughly combine marmalade, applesauce, cooking wine, soy sauce, ginger paste, stevia and rosemary. Pour the mixed sauce over the drumsticks.
Cook on low for 5-7 hours until chicken is cooked through or 2 1/2-4 hours on high. I did 5 hours on low.
Yield: 6 drumsticks, 2 per serving. Each drumstick is 118 calories and each serving is 236 calories.
The only thing I would do different next time is make more! This has no doubt become a favorite of mine.
It’s my personal goal to make weight loss and weight maintenance deliciously easy for you and me. May your journey be scrumptious and the company you keep inspiring and supportive.