Many years ago, almost 20 years ago, in the days when I barely cooked or knew how, a friend and I got together and followed a recipe he had found for a mustard leek chicken. It was delicious. I don’t remember the recipe at all. When the memory of mustard leek chicken wafted back to me last week I had chicken, mustard and no leeks. I decided an imagination was a terrible thing to waste.
I used a combination of three different mustards that I like very much. I am a very big fan of mustard with the seed in it. If you like mustard and have never mixed mustard with seed and mayonnaise together for a sandwich spread please do try it. Use any combination of mustards that you love for this recipe. A plain yellow mustard is needed as a base for the proper flavor, other than that your imagination is the limit.
PLEASE REMEMBER that the calories mentioned apply to the brands and quantities of the ingredients I use. Please alter the calories based on the brands and quantities of ingredients you use. Same brand items made in the United States, may have a different calorie content than same brand items made here in Canada, please always read the calories on the label. I calculate the calories in the recipe section of the “Lose It” app on my iPhone. Lose It is available for Android, iOS, Nook, Kindle and on the Web.
– 1.604 kg. (1604 g.)/57.3 oz. chicken drumsticks, with the skin removed before weighing (my package had 17 drumsticks), 1663 calories
– 166 g./~6 oz. sliced carrots, 68 calories
– 1 c. (metric) or 1.05 c. (U.S.) or 0.88 c. (imperial), sliced celery, 16 calories
– 1 c. (metric) or 1.05 c. (U.S.) or 0.88 c. (imperial), finely diced Walla Walla or another sweet onion, 64 calories
– 3 cloves garlic, slightly crushed to release the flavour, 13 calories
– 375 ml./ 1 1/2 c. So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk, 68 calories
– 125 ml./ 1/2 c. French’s Yellow Mustard, 80 calories
– 62.5 ml./ 1/4 c. Trader Joe”s Aioli Garlic Mustard, 120 calories
– 82.5 ml./ 1/3 c. Edmond Fallot Old Fashioned Mustard, 160 calories
– 30 ml./ 2 tbsp. Woodman’s Original Creamed Horseradish, 30 calories
– 2 tsp Maggi Liquid Seasoning, 7 calories
– 15 ml./ 1 tbsp. sea salt, 0 calories
– 60 ml./ 4 tbsp. instant tapioca pearls for thickening, 136 calories
Layer carrots, celery and onions in the bottom of a 4.8 litre/5 quart slow cooker.
Layer in drumsticks and place garlic cloves around the sides of the chicken.
In a blender combine coconut milk, mustards, horseradish, Maggi and sea salt. Pour over chicken and cover the crockpot.
Cook on high for an hour. Change setting to low. After 2 hours add tapioca pearls and stir well. Cook for an additional 2-3 hours on low.
Yield: With my package having 17 drumsticks each drumsticks with some sauce is 143 calories.
For myself two drumsticks are a single portion.
I added some veggies and a potato and I had a complete meal of only 384 calories. My potato is always a small one, the potato pictured was 101 grams cooked, which is only 74 calories. The green beans with diced tomatoes on top was 25 calories.
Due to using Maggi this dish is NOT gluten-free. I didn’t realize Maggi had wheat in it when I bought it as I don’t always check labels because gluten isn’t an issue for me.
It’s my personal goal to make weight loss and weight maintenance deliciously easy for you and me. May your journey be scrumptious and the company you keep inspiring and supportive.